NEW MEMBER JOINT OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH & SAFETY (JOHS)
COMMITTEE TRAINING – 8 HOURS
The New Member Joint Occupational Health and Safety Training is an 8-hour course designed for the NEW members of a safety committee. The course covers all primary aspects of what a committee member should know and do during their tenure as a member.
- Duties, functions & benefits of a Joint Committee
- Rules of procedure of JOHS committees
- Investigation requirements & process
- Inspection requirements & process
- Refusal of Unsafe Work
- Evaluation of Joint Committees
“I found the review questions, exercises and stories from previous experiences very helpful in understanding concepts and reinforcing knowledge. I also really appreciated that the instructor was very willing to answer questions as they came up.”
Trainer was very well versed in subjects taught. Course speed was well tailored to needs of group (speed, time for breaks, finish times, etc.). Made course informative but also enjoyable…would highly recommend this course to others with JOHSC representation.
Very confident and calm presence from the instructor. A clear passion and love for safety.
Peter did a wonderful job in allowing positive, collaborative conversation among the group. This helped facilitate a sense of team building throughout the two days.
Peter was very informative and kept the training interesting. Great job.
Very professional. Keeping the serious nature of the content fresh and light helps attendees get full value of a long day’s learning.
Excellent instructor who knew the information and taught the course very well. He was willing to answer any questions that came up during the day.
Course information presented in a systematic and easy to follow manner. Good use of personal experiences to add context to information.
Great presentation/presenter- Dale made it interesting, the day flowed nicely and went by quickly. Nice work. Thank you!
Amazing instructor. Very enjoyable class.
MAX CLASS SIZE:
METHOD OF INSTRUCTION:
DETAILED COURSE OUTLINE
|Duties, functions & benefits of a Joint Committee||WCA 130||1 hour|
|Rules of procedure of JOHS committees||WCA 131||1 hour|
|Investigation requirements & process||WCA 173||2 hours|
|Inspection requirements & process||3.5, 3.7, 3.8||2 hours|
|Refusal of Unsafe Work||3.12||1 hour|
|Evaluation of Joint Committees||3.26||1 hour|
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of the safety committee members & others.
- Understand how the OH&S committee is set-up as well as Rules of Procedure.
- Understand OH&S Regulation and Workers Compensation Act (WCA).
- Comprehend due Diligence and its use and defense in achieving compliance goals and expectations.
- Understand the right to refuse unsafe work and the process that must be followed.
- How to perform Inspections and Accident Investigations and effective methods of preventing accidents and incidents in the future.
- How to effectively evaluate the Joint Committee activities and progress as required by Regulation.
- Motivational techniques effective at getting the buy-in of workers/ managers at all levels.
ORCA Health & Safety Instructors bring years of occupational health and safety experience including OH&S management, education & training, ergonomics, industrial hygiene, WorkSafe BC compliance, and accident investigation to deliver this course in a passionate, straightforward and informative manner. Real life stories combined with a realistic and effective approach to safety management will keep committee members engaged and help to build a prevention culture.